In 2020 BM set up a dedicated Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (ED&I) team to ensure that Equality, Diversity and Inclusion would ensure fair treatment and opportunity for all team members. BM wanted to ensure that no one would face prejudice or discrimination on the basis of an individual or group of individual’s protected characteristics.
ED&I mission statement
To celebrate the diversity within our #bmFamily, through an agreed strategic approach. Take steps to ensure we continue to have a diverse workforce. Our teams from every background benefit from an inclusive culture that promotes opportunity for all.
The ED&I mission statement was just the beginning. It provided the stepping-off point to create a workplace that celebrates and benefits from differences.
BM’s key ED&I commitments and achievements
- Signed the Business in the Community Race at Work Charter,
- Became members of Women in Hospitality Travel Leisure (WiHTL) – committing to their diversity charter
- Became active members of LGBT+ in FM
- Achieved Disability Confident Committed employer
- Achieved Mental Health Confident employer accreditations
- Embedded a culture of inclusiveness by integrating ED&I into all company communication platforms shared with teams, clients, and customers. Examples include; client business plans, monthly client reporting, blogs, tender documents, internal and external social media posts
- Created an education & awareness activity calendar covering all major celebration and educational dates including International Women’s Day, Pride Month and Black History Month.
ED&I impact so far
In its first year BM’s ED&I team has made excellent progress and demonstrated a clear strategy, strong top-down ownership, and company-wide best practice for promoting equality and combating workplace discrimination in the sector. Early results show an increase in number of women and non-UK workers in managerial roles, a team of mental health first aiders trained. BM has also created a culture of acceptance and support evidenced by the 20 ED&I blogs published and read over 5,000 times.