Environmental responsibility is woven throughout every aspect of our business: from using seasonal, locally sourced ingredients to cutting carbon emissions in the kitchen, looking after our team, and taking part in community initiatives. Our mission is to share knowledge and inspire change. Wendy Bartlett, MBE FIH, Founder, BM Caterers
Food that doesn’t cost the earth
Sustainable and ethical food practices are in place with our farmer and supplier partners.
- Our chefs use seasonal ingredients sourced as locally as possible.
- Cooking with high-welfare meat, poultry, cheese, milk and other dairy produce, helps combat animal cruelty.
- We only serve MSC fish from the Marine Conservation Society’s ‘Good Fish Guide’.
- All our oils are recycled and turned into biofuel.
Drinks that taste good & do good
- Perkee coffee is Fairtrade and sourced from a female cooperative in Nicaragua and direct trade organic farm in Brazil.
- Our coffee roasting is carbon neutral.
- Our premium tea is from a British Tea company with a rich heritage dating back five generations. Their factory is solar powered making the tea carbon neutral.
- Islands Chocolate cocoa beans grown in St Vincent, are fairly traded and contain no artificial flavours or preservatives.
Food journey to net zero
As food production releases CO2e into the atmosphere, we are determined to reduce our food waste.
- Every year we undertake Planet Mark sustainability certification to support our journey to achieve net zero.
- Chefs take part in farm to fork culinary workshops, so nothing is wasted.
- Pete Redman, BM’s chef director is a Guardian of Grub ambassador.
- We weigh all our waste and set targets to reduce it.
- Our surplus food is redistributed to the community.
- We’re the first workplace caterer to carbon badge our dishes.
- Our initiatives mean that guests can always Eat with the Earth in Mind.
Happy teams deliver great service
We are committed to being a great company to work for and fun people to work with. Our engaged teams
- Are recognised with awards for excellence in equality, diversity and inclusivity and health and wellbeing.
- Remain on the Best Places to work list for the last 10 years.
- Have the highest industry sector rating on Glassdoor, the employee review website.
From growing crops to processing, transporting, selling, storing and throwing away food – everything we eat has an impact on the environment and the climate. These are some of the ways we are making a difference.
- Cleaning with plant-based cleaning products from Delphis Eco containing no nasty chemicals.
- Using our own compost to fertilise veggies and herbs in our market gardens .
- Choosing closed loop recycling from sustainable packaging materials that can be used again, and again.
Committed to our community
- We empower our teams to work together and give back to the community on our Freedom Fridays.
- We partner with charities and social enterprises including the Felix project to redistribute food to the homeless, and Unity works to support people with learning disabilities.
- Our unique BM Inc business incubator for start-ups gives young entrepreneurs an exciting launch platform.