- Serves: 6
- 750ml - boiling water
- 50g - dried hibiscus flower
- 1.5l - room temperature water
- 170g - sugar
- Ice - optional
Agua de Jamaica is a tea made from the sepals of the roselle flower, hibiscus sabdariffa. The colour and flavour of this drink is similar to tart cranberry with subtle tea notes. It is loaded with vitamin C, so in addition to the ‘coolness factor’ of drinking a flower, hibiscus tea is actually good for you!
- Pour the boiling water over the hibiscus flowers.
- Let the flowers soak in the water for about 20 minutes.
- Pour through a strainer into a large pitcher.
- Add the sugar and stir for 1-2 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved.
- pour in the room temperature water and taste for sweetness. Add more sugar or water if necessary.