- Serves: 2
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1” piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp. red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp. salted peanuts, crushed
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. coriander, chopped
This vegan recipe for aubergine curry is perfect for any curry night, served with some pilau rice or as an accompaniment with other Indian dishes such as dal makhani or bhindi bhaji. You will find that many Indian recipes are unintentionally vegan, they are packed full of spices, vegetables and pulses helping towards your 5 a day.
- Place the whole aubergine over a high flame on the stove. Using metal tongs, turn the aubergine as it colours and blisters on all sides. Do this continuously for about 10 minutes until cooked through, if a knife is easily inserted then you know that its cooked.
- Place the aubergine into a bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave until slightly warm. The skin can now be easily removed.
- Mash the aubergine with a fork and leave to one side.
- Heat oil in a pan on a medium heat, add the cumin seeds and allow for them to crackle before adding in the ginger, garlic and onions. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions have softened.
- Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric, chilli, coriander powder, garam masala and chilli powder, and cook for a further 2 minutes until the tomatoes have softened.
- Stir in the mashed aubergine, then lower the heat and allow the aubergines to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add in the crushed peanuts and salt. Place in a serving dish and scatter with chopped coriander.
- Serve alongside some hot naan or chapatti.