- 50g olive oil
- 200g pancetta cut into cubes or sliced streaky bacon
- 180g ready to use chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 500g fresh Brussels sprouts, sliced or cut in half, just allow more time for cooking
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the breadcrumbs (optional)
- 50g of butter or 50g olive oil
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
Enjoy your Brussel sprouts, they work wonders for the immune system. If you’re not the biggest fan try this lovely recipe with pancetta and chestnuts.
- Trim the sprouts to remove any blemished leaves or stalks and slice or cut in half.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Fry the pancetta until very crisp and the fat has rendered off. Remove from the heat and stir in the chestnuts.
- Tip in the sprouts and fry for 3-5 minutes (depending on how crunchy you like your veg), stirring all the time. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- If making the breadcrumbs, fry them in butter or oil with the lemon zest until golden-brown and crisp (about 3 minutes). Stir into the sprouts and serve immediately.
- You can cook the pancetta and chestnuts the day before.
- Fry the pancetta/bacon until very crisp and the fat has rendered off. Remove from the heat and stir in the chestnuts. Transfer to a bowl or plastic tub, taking care to include as much of the oil from the pan as possible. Cool, then store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- You can also prep the sprouts and the breadcrumb mix the day before