- 6 tbsp - jasmine rice
- 2 tbsp - unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 tsp - lightly crushed saffron
- 1⁄2 tsp- ground cardamom
- 6 cups - milk
- 6 tbsp - light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup - almonds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup - thinly sliced pistachios
Kheer is a rich rice based dish which is traditionally eaten to celebrate Vesak day.
- Place rice in a fine strainer, and rinse under running water until water runs clear; drain thoroughly.
- Heat the butter in a pan and melt over a medium heat
- Add the rice, saffron, and cardamom, and cook, stirring until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until the milk is reduced by half and rice is tender, this will take about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Add the almonds, and half the pistachios, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves
- Transfer to a serving bowl, and garnish with remaining pistachios before serving.