- Serves: 9
- 500g sausage meat
- 1 caramelised onion, chopped
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 tbsp French mustard
- 1 sheet KFF puff or short crust pastry
- Small amount of fresh thyme
- 1 medium free range egg
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of poppy seeds
No picnic is complete without a sausage roll and this version has to be one of the best.
- Mix the sausage meat with the chopped onion, apple, mustard and thyme.
- Place the sausage meat into a piping bag. This will help get the consistent amount of filling in the sausage roll.
- Cut the piping bag to achieve a 3cm opening. Pipe onto the puff pastry. You will need enough pastry to do 1 full turn with the seam at the bottom.
- Cut into 12cm length then either freeze or chill. The product cooks more evenly if chilled.
- Glaze with egg and salt, and top with poppy seeds.
- For the best finish, after glazing once with the egg wash , place in the freezer to set and then glaze and again before adding the poppy seeds.
- Bake at 180c for approx. 12-15 minutes.