- 1 large courgette, sliced lengthways
- 1 large aubergine, sliced lengthways
- 400g butternut squash, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large red pepper, quartered
- 450g cob loaf
- 100g Basil pesto
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- 2 balls mozzarella sliced
Add a little sparkle to your sandwiches with this lovely pesto and roasted vegetable picnic loaf
- Preheat the oven to 190c.
- Place all the sliced vegetables in a bowl and drizzle with half the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat all the vegetables in the oil.
- Scatter the vegetables in a single layer on a baking tray and roast until the vegetables are softened, about 15 minutes.
- Slice off the top quarter of the loaf then scoop out the centre (you can use this to make breadcrumbs), leaving a 2cm-thick shell.
- Spread the pesto over the inside of the loaf and lid.
- Arrange the aubergine over the base and top with the basil, cheese, peppers, courgette, and squash.
- Replace the top of the loaf.
- Wrap the loaf tightly in cling film and place a plate on top.
- Put a heavy object on the plate to compress the filling, then chill overnight so the flavours can meld.
- Cut into wedges to serve.