- 1 Litre Cream
- 18 Egg Yolks (or 270g)
- 150g Sugar
- 280g Sugar – Caramel (180c)
- 15g Maldon salt
- Sweet Pastry
- 350g Strong White Bread Flour
- 110g Icing Sugar
- 140g Butter, Diced
- ½ Beaten Egg
For the Pastry
For the Tart
1. Bring cream to the boil. In a separate bowl, combine egg yolks and 150g sugar.
2. Pour the cream over the eggs and sugar. Place 1 Litre of this mixture into a bowl and add the Maldon salt.
3. In a separate pan, over a low heat, bring 280g sugar to a dark caramel. Once a dark caramel forms, slowly incorporate this into the custard mix in the bowl, whisking continually. Combine this with any remaining custard and pass through a fine sieve.
4. Remove the skin and large bubbles off the mixture and cover with cling film to contact. Leave standing for 5 minutes before removing the cling film, taking the small bubbles with it.
5. Pour into two 10 inch x 3 inch blind baked tart rings and bake at 130 C for 40-50 minutes or until set.
6. Leave to stand for an hour before slicing and enjoy with pouring cream.