- Serves: 10
- Difficulty: Easy
- 150g pinto beans
- 100g black eyed beans
- 1k beef shin or mince
- 500g onions finely diced (approx. 3 onions)
- 25g garlic, minced
- 20g Cajun, Creole or Fajita spice mix
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 chilli, leave whole but stab a hole in it
- 2 stock cubes (optional) for depth of flavour
- 1.2L water
- 200g diced peppers (any colour)
- 150g diced celery
- 1 x 340g tin of sweetcorn (do not drain)
- 200g diced courgette (about half a courgette)
- 150g rice, any kind
This spicy beef soup is a great recipe for using up leftover veg and pulses, grains etc you may have in the cupboard. Just about everything in it can be replaced or substituted with something similar.
- Soak the beans for at least 2 hours, rinse and cook to just done.
- Seal the beef shin or mince in a pan, remove from the pan
- Add the onions to the pan with a pinch of salt and some oil.
- Cook for 5 mins on a low heat then add the garlic and spices and cook for a further 5 mins
- Add water, tomatoes, chilli and stock cubes plus the beef and beans, cover and place in the oven at 150C for 3 hours or until the shin can be pulled easily apart using forks.
- If necessary, leave the shin to one side to cool before pulling.
- While this is cooling down, add the remaining ingredients to the pan and return to the oven for approx. 20 mins, until the rice is cooked.
- Then add the pulled beef in, stir and serve or divide into tubs for freezing (make sure they are reusable!).
- To re-heat, defrost thoroughly then add to a pan with a small amount of water. Cook until piping hot and enjoy.