- Serves: 4
- 450g firm tofu
- 1 free range egg
- 1 free range egg yolk
- 2 tsp paprika
- 100g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 80g sliced smoked cheddar
- 2 green peppers
- 90g jalapeños or green chillies
- 1 clove garlic
- 40g spinach
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- Sea salt
- 4 wholemeal buns
This Tofu and Veggie Burger is a lighter version of the popular burger but not light on flavour. Omit the cheese if you want to reduce the fat content further.
- Wrap the tofu in a cloth and squeeze out the liquid.
- Mix the tofu with the breadcrumbs, egg, paprika and season with salt. Form into 4 round burger patties of 130g each.
- Blister the peppers, spring onions and jalapeños under a grill.
- Blitz the peppers, spring onions and jalapeños along with the vinegar, garlic, water and maple syrup and season with salt.
- Fry the tofu patties in a little oil for about 4 minutes each side or roast in the oven until the core temperature is reached.
- Place some sliced smoked cheddar on the patties and melt under the grill as you toast or char-grill the buns.
- Place the tofu patty in the bun along with the hot sauce.