- 500g red onions, chopped
- 1kg fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 6 fresh red chillies, roughly chopped
- Thumb sized piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 250g brown sugar
- 150ml red wine vinegar
- 5 cardamom seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 2 star anise
Whenever there are fruit and vegetables looking a bit sad in the fridge, they’re great to use in a chutney, This recipe is a great way to use up any leftover tomatoes.
- Place all the ingredients in a heavy bottom saucepan.
- Bring up to the boil, then simmer for 1 hour until all items are fully cooked.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a sterilised jar, filling to the top