- 300ml almond milk
- 50g dairy free butter
- 500g strong flour
- 7g dried yeast or 14g fresh
- 70g caster sugar
- 1g salt
- 3g cinnamon
- 3g mixed spice
- The zest of one orange
- 70g sultanas
- 50g mixed peel
- 100g flour
- 50g water
- 75g apricot jam
- Juice from one orange
- 15g water
- Heat until fully mixed together
Love hot cross buns but looking for a vegan alternative? Try these lovely vegan hot cross buns, sticky, sweet and full of fruity flavours.
- Put the almond milk in a saucepan over a medium heat. Once simmering, add the spread, remove from the heat and allow to melt. Set aside to cool to hand temperature.
- Mix the flour, yeast, sugar, salt and spices with the dough hook for 3 minutes and leave to prove until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough back onto the surface and flatten into a round. Spread the orange zest, sultanas and mixed peel onto the dough and knead again until everything is well distributed. Form into a ball, return to the bowl, cover and leave to rise for another hour.
- Knock the dough back by turning it out onto your surface and gently punching out the air. Divide the dough into 12 even-sized pieces, weighing for accuracy, if you like. Roll each one into a ball. Arrange the buns on the baking sheet, leaving a 2cm space between each one. Cover with lightly oiled cling film and leave to rise for 45 mins.
- Heat the oven to 180ºc. To make the cross, in a small bowl, mix together the flour with 1 tbsp of water at a time to create a thick, pipeable paste. Transfer to the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 15-20 mins or until deep golden brown.
- Once cooked, brush the warm jam over the tops of the buns.