- 530g sugar
- 400g egg
- 340g flour
- 14g baking powder
- 200g clotted cream
- 135g melted butter
- 5ml vanilla essence
- BUTTER CREAM
- 200g icing sugar
- 70g butter
- 10ml milk
- 250g rhubarb jam (you can use any jam, but this is seasonal)
- 1kg small diced rhubarb
- 250g caster sugar
Want to add a twist to a classic cake this Victoria sandwich cake with rhubarb jam is just perfect.
- Whisk eggs and sugar to a sabayon.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder and fold into the sabayon.
- Warm the clotted cream and butter and fold into the mixture.
- Bake at 175ºc for approx. 45mins, checking the centre of the cake with a knife.
- Cool overnight to allow the crumb to settle before cutting in half.
- Mix together the ingredients and leave to stand for at least an hour, you could even do this the day before.
- Drain the rhubarb out of the liquid and boil the liquid in a pan.
- Once the liquid has reduced by half add the rhubarb and cook on a high heat for 6 minutes
- The rhubarb should just be soft if not cook for a few more minutes. Leave to cool at room temperature.
- If you want the mixture to be pink you could add 2g of beetroot powder when the mix is cool
- To make the buttercream cream butter till pale in colour, add icing sugar slowly and then the milk slowly till you have the desired consistency
- Layer the jam followed by the buttercream in the centre of the sponge
- Chill to allow the buttercream to set before cutting into 16 slices.
- Can be stored for 3 days or frozen before thawing and serving.